July 7, 2021 - September 1, 2021
Reading the Truth & Reconciliation Report
Hosted by Theatre Passe Muraille
TPM will be joining the TRC Reading Challenge, and our team will be collectively reading the Truth & Reconcilliation Report weekly on Wednesdays, from 9:30am - 10:30am. As TPM community members, we invite you to join us on this challenge. Here's how it will work:
- 30-40 minutes of active reading each week, with introductions and time for reflection and conversation
- The reading will take place virtually on zoom
- We will read the report aloud, and you can choose to read or listen
- You will need to register to receive the zoom information
Indigenous communities have pointed to unmarked graves on residential "school" grounds for decades, but their voices were unheard and dismissed. Now, as more and more children are being discovered on sites across this land, Theatre Passe Muraille will not be celebrating Canada Day on July 1st. We simply cannot.
At TPM, some of us are here by choice, and some of us are on this land by involuntary means. As settlers and an organization we recognize the systemic inequities in which we benefit from: the same system that continues to oppress Indigenous people on this land.
Our thoughts go to our Indigenous artists and community members who are creating and caring — all while grieving and fighting every day of the year. We demand clean drinking water for Indigenous people, clean air for Aamjiwnaang First Nation in Sarnia, the rights to safely fish for Mi’kmaq First Nations, and for continued investigation of unmarked graves across Canada.
Come and read with us.
- Zoom auto-captioning will be available
- ASL interpretation will be available upon request
- There will be an Active Listening room with a TPM staff member each week.