July 20, 2021
Call for Applications: Gallery Technician
The University of Manitoba School of Art Gallery is hiring a Gallery Technician!
- Works with the Registrar/Preparator and contract staff on the coordination of the install and deinstall of custom artwork pieces in the Gallery and elsewhere on campus requiring specialized skills and art installation training.
- Coordinates scheduling, shipping, receiving, and receipt of artworks to and from lenders, following accepted museum standards.
- Works with the Registrar/Preparator and contract/term staff, to prepare condition reports and loan agreements for artworks for exhibition as assigned.
- Constructs or contracts the construction of crates, exhibition plinths, shelves, walls, or other structures as required.
- Mats, mounts, frames, and initiates minor repairs of artworks for exhibitions.
- Installs labels, didactic panels, and signage for exhibitions.
- Provides expertise on lighting for exhibitions.
- Remediates and organizes custom painting of gallery walls as required for specific shows.
- Advises curators and artists regarding effective installation strategies.
- Maintains inventory of gallery equipment and supplies relevant to installation, crating and art care.
- Maintains Genie lift and correspondent records regarding training, inspection, and maintenance.
- Responsible for upkeep of equipment and safe storage of empty crates, plinths and display cases, and framing materials.
- Attends to the cleaning, maintenance, and/or restoration of specialized materials and gallery works and restricted vault spaces.
- Sets up and tears down event spaces for receptions, education, public programs or room rentals, including audio/visual and other technical elements.
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual and gender identities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact UM.Accommodation@umanitoba.ca or 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.