December 31, 2021
Call for Nominations: Barbara Laronde Award
Nominations are open for the 7th Annual Barbara Laronde Emerging Artist Award. This award recognizes outstanding emerging Indigenous artists from Northern Ontario who are women or other-wise gender marginalized.
Please note that you can nominate yourself or someone else.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- To be considered for an award the artist must be an Indigenous person living in Northern Ontario (Métis, Inuit, Status and Non-Status First Nations peoples).
- This award is for women and other gender marginalized folks. NWIA respects trans women as women and uses the term gender marginalized to be inclusive of transfeminine people who do not necessarily identify as women as well as trans men and transmasculine people, non-binary people, Two Spirit people, and genderqueer people. Cis-gendered, heterosexual men are not eligible for this award.
- Must be at the emerging stages of artistic career. We define an emerging artist as:
- In the early stage of their career, regardless of age
- Has created a modest body of work
- Has had some evidence of professional achievement but may not yet have a substantial record of accomplishments.
- One who is not yet recognized as an established or mid-career artists by other artists, curators, producers, critics, community members, and arts administrators.
- Open to all artistic disciplines including:
- Traditional/Customary Arts (Beading, Carving, Quillwork, Tufting, Weaving etc.)
- Visual Arts (Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Installation and Performance art)
- Performing Arts (Dance, Music, Theatre)
- Media Arts (Film, Video, New Media)
- Literary Arts (Prose, Poetry, Creative-Nonfiction, Spoken-word)
- Live in one of these geographical regions in northern Ontario:
- Kenora District
- Algoma District
- Cochrane District
- Manitoulin District
- Nipissing District
- Parry Sound District
- Sudbury District
- Timiskaming District
- Rainy River District
- Thunder Bay District
- All eligible artists are encouraged to self-nominate.
- Individuals can also nominate an eligible artist they feel deserves this award.