June 6, 2022
Call for Submissions: The Syd & Shirley Banks Prize
Hosted by The Musical Stage Company
The Syd & Shirley Banks Prize for Emerging Musical Theatre Artists generously provides two musical theatre artists the opportunity to advance their careers through financial assistance, mentorship, and increased exposure.
- A $2,500 cash prize
- A cabaret starring both winners, created in collaboration with our RBC Apprentice cohort
- An opportunity to perform alongside leading professional artists as a part of the Musical Stage Company’s Season
- Bespoke mentorship experience with several industry experts throughout the 2022-23 season
This opportunity is open to both Equity members and non-members who are emerging musical theatre artists, reside in Ontario, and are under-exposed in Toronto and its surrounding areas. This year we have removed the under-30 age requirement.
We are actively seeking submissions from actors of all backgrounds, abilities, and ethnicities as we are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion within this selection process. We especially encourage folx who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, LGBTQ2S+, d/Deaf, Mad, Disabled/People with Disabilities, and/or Neurodiverse to submit.
You will be asked to submit:
- updated headshot
- updated resume
- a cover letter (maximum one page) OR video statement (maximum 2 minutes) which outlines your views on the role of musical theatre in the performance arts landscape, how you would use this prize to support your career aspirations, and why you are the best candidate for this prize. We hope to learn about you and your unique artistry from your letter/video. Specifics about you and your art/practice are more helpful to us than generalized statements about a love of theatre.
- An audition video of 2 contrasting songs (approx. 32 bar cut each). Please note that only the shortlisted cover letters/video statements will have their audition videos reviewed.
Videos must be submitted as a LINK (e.g. unlisted YouTube, Vimeo). Unfortunately we cannot accept any video attachments or downloads.
Please ensure that your submission package is received through the application form no later than June 6, 2022 11:59pm ET. If you are unable to submit using the Google form, please email email@example.com for assistance.
Successful candidates will be invited to an in-person callback and should be prepared to perform live.
The Musical Stage Company prioritizes adaptability and a human-centric work environment. If you require an accommodation to make your submission please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your access needs.