July 8, 2022
Call for Proposals
Hosted by Tangled Art + Disability
Tangled Art + Disability is now accepting submissions to our gallery space for exhibitions in our 2023/24 season. We are currently inviting proposals from Deaf, Mad, and Disability-identified artists, curators, arts organizers, and other cultural producers from any background and age, practicing Disability Arts and accessible curation to be hosted at Tangled Art Gallery. Tangled is committed to cultivating Deaf, Mad, and Disability-led work that engages politically in social practice, advances the conversation around Disability Arts, and disrupts through accessible art practices. Our goal is to foster developing conversations in ‘crip’ aesthetics and support the transformative potential of Disability Arts.
Tangled encourages applicants to prioritize accessibility in their submission. We strive to work with artists and organizers to both conceptualize and implement accessibility from the beginning of the exhibition-making process. These include: accessible sightlines, ASL translation of public text, audio description and captioning, and more.
Tangled Art + Disability is boldly redefining how the world experiences art and those who create it. We are a not-for-profit art + disability organization dedicated to connecting professional and emerging artists, the arts community, and a diverse public through creative passion and artistic excellence. Our mandate is to support disability-identified artists, to cultivate Disability Arts in Canada, and to enhance access to the arts for artists and all audiences. Tangled Art + Disability supports artists and curators in generating vital work that enhances and expands a ‘crip’ aesthetic, and integrates inclusive practices of access.
Tangled is committed to paying fair fees to artists, curators, and other cultural producers (in accordance with CARFAC) but does not have the budget to commission new works. However, we will work collaboratively with you to submit any additional project funding. We cover all exhibition-related costs and will recommend artists for exhibition assistance if they host a show in the space.
Deadline: July 8, 2022
ALL SUBMISSIONS SHOULD INCLUDE:
- CV(s) (For all applicable Artists and Curators)
- Support material: up to 10 images, consisting of a combination of previous work and the work intended for exhibition. All images must be labeled with dimensions of the work, media, title, and year of production, in addition to image descriptions. You may submit a link to watch a 5-minute section of video or audio.
- Up to 250-word Artist or Curatorial statement
- Up to 250 word project description, including brief timeline of proposed project.
- A list of projected technical requirements, equipment, and materials.
- Additional support material such as reviews, if available.
How to Submit
Tangled Art Gallery will accept applications in:
- Single PDF
- Zipped folder (no larger than 10MB), or WeTransfer, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar file transfer systems
- Video submission: No more than 10 minutes and must be below 200MB
- ASL Submission: please submit a video, no more than 10 minutes and must be below 200MB
- Video or Oral application interview on Zoom or in the gallery: Get in touch with the submissions administrator, Sean (email@example.com or 647-725-5064) at least 7 business days before the application deadline. Tangled may not be able to accommodate requests made any later.
Send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 8, 11:59 pm EST. All applicants will be notified of results in Fall 2022.
About the Gallery
Tangled Art Gallery is on Treaty 13 Territory, in downtown Toronto/Tkaronto. The gallery is in the 401 Richmond Building, located in Suite 124. Our public space consists of an approximately 1000sf gallery space with 14 foot ceilings, and a library which acts as a chill out space and gathering site. On the exterior of the gallery are two vitrines dedicated to exhibiting partnerships with other Disability-led organizations and artist projects. All sites are physically accessible and barrier-free.
Thursday, June 23, 2022 - 1-2:30PM (intros, going through call, tour of the space, questions)
Join us for an info session and Q+A over Zoom! We'll discuss the Tangled Call for Submission, as well as show some past photos from exhibitions and take questions about this call from the audience. This session will be recorded and made available to those who are unable to attend.
We want to ensure that the submission process is as accessible as possible. Accessibility means many things for us, so let us know what you’d like us to be aware of and we’ll do our best to accommodate. For additional information on application and access accommodations, please email: email@example.com, or call: 647-725-5064